I’ve been meaning to post this tutorial for transferring a design onto wood for a long time! Before I ever learned how to use vinyl for transferring my designs onto wood (which I used to make this DIY wood Sign), I used a super easy pencil method all the time. All you need is a pencil and a marker or paint pen. Here is one of my favorite signs from my wedding, our honey favors sign, where I used this easy pencil tracing method:
For this tutorial, I decided I wanted to make a mini, wood framed sign that will eventually be part of a gallery wall I am planning. I used the same building steps as this DIY wood Sign project to build the sign (just smaller measurements, about 9″x9″). And here are step by step directions for the easy pencil tracing method:
1. Print out your design at the appropriate size needed for your wood. Then, cut the excess white paper off around your design. I used this Home Sweet Home printable which is available in the shop and it was a perfect fit after I cut off the excess white paper!
P.S. Sorry for the dark photos, I did this project at night!
2. Turn your paper over so the printed out design is facing down. Then, use a regular pencil and heavily shade over the outline of the design showing through the back. Note, if your ink is fresh like mine was, put a scrap piece of paper underneath so no ink transfers onto your work surface. Also, you can use chalk on the back instead of a pencil if your wood surface is really dark.
3. Flip your design back over and secure it into place on top of your wood using masking tape. Then, start tracing over the design with your pencil, heavily pressing down the pencil as you trace.
4. Now the magic part! Remove your paper and the outline of your design has been transferred onto your wood!
5. Complete the transfer by tracing over the pencil outline with a paint pen, marker, or paint brush. I started tracing over mine originally with a medium tip paint pen and it was too thick, so I actually had to re-do it! The second time I used a black Sharpie marker instead which worked much better!
And that’s it! A very simple and easy way to transfer a design onto wood! Here is the final result:
Do you have any good, easy tracing methods you like to use?! Feel free to share in the comments! Follow along on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for my latest projects, fun updates, and sneak peeks!
Get instant access to the library of FREE printables for the home!
Subscribe and get home decor tips, DIY tutorials, and access to the library of FREE printables for the home!