Note, this page contains some affiliate links. For more information see my disclosures here.
Surface Preparation and Sanding
- Utility Gloves
- Stainable Wood Filler
- Sanding Face Mask or Respirator
- Tack Cloth
- Soft Bristled Brush
- Sandpaper Sheets or Blocks (80 grit, 120 grit, and 220 grit)
- Orbital Sander and Sanding Discs
- Corner Sander and Sanding Discs
- Other Sanding tools like a Dremel Rotary Tool (with sanding attachments) or a Belt Sander
Staining and Paint Application
- Wood Stain (Minwax and Varathane brands)
- Paint (specific colors listed in each recipe, available at Lowe’s, Home Depot, or another local paint or hardware store)
- Minwax Pre-Wood Conditioner
- High Quality Paint Brush (I prefer angled)
- Lint Free Cloths or Rags
- Foam Brushes
- Rubber, Latex, or Chemical Resistant Gloves
- Measuring Spoons or Cups
- Stirring Sticks or Popsicle Sticks (for stain and polyurethanes)
- Plastic Cup or Container
- Foam Brushes
- Foam Rollers
- Water-based Polyurethane. My favorite is Varathane Crystal Clear Water-Based Polyurethane (available in Matte, Satin, or Semi gloss). Bigger size on Amazon in Satin here.
- Furniture Wax. My favorite is Annie Sloan Furniture Wax
- Miss Mustard Seed’s Tough Coat
- Rust-Oleum Chalked Protective Top Coat – Matte Clear (for Toasty Charcoal Recipe only)
- Oil-Based Polyurethane. My favorite is Minwax Fast Drying Oil-Based Polyurethane in Satin
Get instant access to the library of FREE printables for the home!
Subscribe and get home decor tips, DIY tutorials, and access to the library of FREE printables for the home!