Wow! I can’t believe I am finally sharing our master bathroom makeover reveal! It has been a crazy busy 6 weeks leading up to this point. This was my first time participating in the One Room Challenge as a guest participant. I’ve never completed a full room renovation this quickly before and you’d think because it’s such a tiny space it would be easier, but nope that was not the case here! Not only were there tons of DIY projects in this space, but lots of unexpected challenges, oh and photographing the smallest room ever with no natural light was extremely difficult for me!
Note, a full source list is included at the bottom of the post!
But let’s take a look down memory lane at what this bathroom use to look like 6 weeks ago…
Over the past 6 weeks I shared many of the projects that we worked on, here is a recap of all those projects:
- ORC Week 1 – The Master Bathroom Plan
- ORC Week 2 – Board and Batten Bathroom DIY
- ORC Week 3 – Sliding Barn Door DIY
- ORC Week 4 – Farmhouse Style DIY Towel Rack
- ORC Week 5 – Master Bathroom Update
And as of today, the master bathroom has been transformed…
The space opened up tremendously by adding the sliding barn door, which I love the look of as well!
My absolute favorite part of this bathroom makeover was the round wood mirror! I actually decided to make it this past week (last minute decision) because I could not find anything like it for a reasonable price. Round mirrors are expensive! And after making this one I think I understand why! But it has now become one of my favorite woodworking builds ever. The full DIY tutorial on this beauty can be found here!
We needed more storage since we got rid of our bulky medicine cabinet, so I built these cute floating shelves for above the toilet storage. I built them using the same method as this tutorial for my office floating shelf. Also, you can see how to make floating shelves with brackets here.
Note, this post contains some affiliate links for convenience.
Here is a summary of what we did to transform this space:
- Removed swing door & replaced with a sliding barn door
- Removed medicine cabinet and added a DIY custom wood framed mirror and above the toilet floating shelves (for storage)
- Added a board and batten wall treatment
- Updated bathroom decor/accessories and towel rack
- Replaced toilet seat
- Spray painted toilet paper holder and vanity door knobs with oil rubbed bronze spray paint
- Replaced the light fixture, added a vintage style light bulb, and replaced light switches/outlet covers (from beige to white)
And in case your curious, here are some of the unexpected challenges we ran into (which also caused me to go over budget):
- Originally painted the walls a dark grey which turned out to be too dark for the space. I went through at least 10 paint samples (they add up!) and ended up using a light gray.
- We replaced the beige light switches and outlet to white…we did the electrical wrong and lost power in the bathroom in the middle of our renovation. We had to hire an electrician to fix this, which was not cheap, but definitely the right decision!
- Needed a bunch of extra little stuff not budgeted for, like special screws/hardware, extra caulk, router bit (for barn door floor guide), etc.
- Used curtain panels instead of a shower curtain in an attempt to make the space appear larger by hanging them all the way up to the ceiling. I don’t really like how it looks and I will be switching those out for a shower curtain instead.
What do you think of our master bathroom makeover reveal?!
Overall, I think I achieved a relaxing, light and airy space. I didn’t have the clearest vision when I started, so I think it all turned out very lovely given the time crunch and number of DIY projects we completed for this space. Thanks to my amazing husband for helping me, I couldn’t have done it without him!
Also, if you want to see more room reveals from all the other bloggers who participated in the One Room Challenge, you can check them out here!
Source List & Paint Colors:
- Sconce Light Fixture – Amazon
- Vintage Style Light Bulb (Soft White) – Amazon
- Bath Towel – Etsy
- Baskets – Bed Bath & Beyond
- Board and Batten – DIY project, tutorial here
- Sliding Barn Door – DIY project, tutorial here
- Farmhouse Style Towel Rack – DIY project, tutorial here
- Wood Framed Mirror – DIY Project, tutorial here
- Vanity, Sink, & Faucet – Lowes (bought a few years ago)
- Grey Wall Paint – Dolphin Fin by Behr in Satin
- White Paint (board & batten, trim, & door) – Alabaster by Sherwin Williams in Satin
Sharing is caring!